Tuesday, March 6, 2012
December wind
On December 10th, the wasatch front was hit with a pretty intense wind storm. It was not a huricane or a tornado, but it left behind a huge path of destruction. Centerville city mayor declared a state of emergency because the power was knocked out in some places for 5 days, tree's uprooted and landed on houses, ours included. Traffic lights were knocked over, semi's tipped over all along the freeway, chimneys were ripped off the sides of people's houses and so on and so on. It was a mess.
All night I heard the wind blowing and debris knocking against our house. Zane was screaming half the night because it kept scaring him. At about 5AM I tried to wake Allen up to have him move our patio set and BBQ grill into the house because I was afraid it was going to blow away. I looked out the window and saw garbage cans rolling down the street.
Allen went out side to see what he could do and saw that our neighbors fence gate had ripped off and was laying in the middle of the street. He helped him move it into his yard and then came running back. He said the wind was too strong that it wasn't safe to go out there. In my mind this means... scary what do we do, whats going to happen, whats going to get ruined, how should we prepare... In Allens mind, it meant, go back to sleep and access the damage later. At about 5:55 am, when I was about ready to log in for work, the power went out. So, I called my boss and told her I was just going to take a sick day. Zane and I had strep throat and I didnt want to go in office if my power was out.
I tried to go back to sleep with Allen and about 15 minutes later we heard the biggest boom. It was pitch black in our bedroom and Allen and I both shot out of our beds. We ran to see what happened and found that the huge pine tree in our back yard had uprooted and landed on top of karlees room, on top of our house. Karlee slept through the entire thing. It completely crushed our swing set. My neighbor Sarah text me and said... Just making sure everyone is okay, im sure you probably know but there is a tree on top of your house :)
We were fine but it scared the bajeezee's out of us. Minus Karlee who didnt even flinch.
We looked around out side and realized this was a huge problem and that we were probably getting hit the hardest being right in the base of the small canyons of the centerville mountains. Perfect path for the wind. I made allen run to home depot and buy a generator so our fish and food wouldnt all die or go bad. I thought the car was going to tip over while we were driving. Thinking back, It was the dumbest idea ever. We never should have been driving around it that.
Our power was out for 2 days. We stayed up at Grandma and Grandpa Allens house because they had a fire place and warm house. Clean up around town was amazing to watch. People really came out of no where and just helped everywhere they could. Everywhere you looked there was tree's laying in the streets and ontop of houses. My parents had 2 chimneys in their back yard and 7 of their trees uprooted and tipped over. It was really sad to see. I am so thankful that none of us were hurt and also thankful for all the great people who came to help us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment