Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Princess Has Arrived!

Karlee Montana Bishop
Photobucket
Born on May 7th, 2009. She weighed 5lbs 12oz and 20 inches long.
She is the perfect addition to our little Bishop family.

We finally got to bring her home from the hospital on May 14th and have been loving every single minute of it.
Photobucket

But....
It wasn't really as easy as ...
Go into labor
Have a baby
Kiss the baby
Kiss Dad
Tell everyone about baby
Go Home two days later
Stay up all night wondering what your supposed to do now.

Instead it went a little more like this.

May 7th, 2009
2:30 AM
35 Weeks Pregnant
I was home alone sleeping in my bed. Allen was at work ( he was working the grave yard shift.)
I woke up and realized that something was not right. I was pretty sure I had just gone pee in my bed. Not sure what to think I just laid there for a few minutes trying to decide why this had happened. Then I realized I was still getting wetter and wetter. hahaha
Yep you dont pee your pants for 20 minutes.
I decided to call Allen. This is where all the fun began!
Suzie: Hi babe, I think maybe my water broke?
Allen: What are you talking about you think your water broke. How do you not know?
(He was instantly very excited his calm collected personality was gone.)
Suzie: Well... I am not in any pain or having any contractions. I just thought when my water broke I would be freaking out and thinking I was about to die. But Im fine.
Allen: Im almost home. Were going to the hospital.
(Allen works 30 minutes away from our house and was home in 10.)

He runs in the door with this look on his face that didnt go away until much later that day.
Photobucket

He starts grabbing totally random things and starts shoving them into a diaper bad that was on the floor, because we had not packed a hospital bag yet. Finally I was able to calm him down long enough for him to realize we probably didnt need all that stuff and maybe we should take an over night bag not a diaper bag.
I locked my self in the bathroom long enough to brush my teeth, before my sweet husband dragged me to the car. We were off

3:15 AM
We made it to the hospital. Luckily no one was on the road to see how fast we made it. I was still not contracting or having any pain.
The nurse told me that I could take a nap and to let her know when I needed anything. She told Allen that most of the time it takes a really long time to deliver when its your first baby and that our doctor would not be able to make it to the hospital until about 3:30 pm (that means 12 hours later?)
I took a nap and started feeling some tiny contractions. Nothing I hadn't felt for the last month.

7:30 AM
I woke up and had a decent contraction. It still didn't really hurt. The nurse told me that I could get my epidural whenever I wanted and that it may slow down my contractions witch was fine because my doctor was in surgery for a few more hours. So I got an epidural at 7:45.
My contractions Stopped all together.
So they decided to start me on some Pitosin? to help speed things up. They were worried I was going to be there all day.

9:00 AM
The nurse came in and checked to see if I was dilating at all and I was already to a 7.
She very very quickly turned off the pit. and said hold on I need to go call your doctor.

9:30 AM
The nurse came in and said, Dr Ward would probably be able to come by 1PM. She then checked me again and said ... Yep your dialated to a 9+.
She ran out of the room to call my Doctor again.

She came back in and said, Dr Ward is going to come as soon as he finishes the surgery he is in. He will be here at noon. We will start pushing when you get to a 10 and hopefully he runs in so he can catch the baby.

11:30 AM
I started Pushing.
Dr. Ward ran in... and caught our baby girl at 11:57 AM.
Because they kept telling me she is too early, I was expecting her to come out be like as big as my hand? But she came out and looked huge to me lol.
Photobucket
I remember just sitting there thinking ... that is the craziest thing. I cant believe she just came out of me? I really made that? Wow that is cool. Then ... Wow I cant belive how much I love her.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Then they took her away.
I was stuck in my bed waiting for my epidural to ware off enough for me to walk. I was very frustrated.
Because she was early they had to take her to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit to monitor her and see what she was going to do.
Her lungs are great and she never needed any oxygen. They had to start her on an antibiotic because they were worried she might have an infection. They also were giving her sugar water in her iv because she had low blood sugar. After that they decided that she needed to be under Billy lights because she is a little bit jaundice.
After about an hour I finally convinced the nurse that I could walk and that I needed to go see my baby. ( I couldn't really walk because I was still numb) So they took me to see her in a wheel chair! Duh they could have done that a long time before that.
Photobucket
I love her.

Allen got to give her a bath a few hours later and clean up her pretty hair. I loved seeing him be daddy it was so cute.
Photobucket

We were in the hospital a total of 7 days. Karlee went up and down eating and not eating, not holding her temp up, she was really jaundice one day and then not so bad the next. We had some really great nurses and some really annoying dumb ones.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
So mad about having a feeding tube.
Photobucket
We really liked this nurse. She was so nice.

When Dr. Hollbrook finally came to our room and told us we could take her home we both jumped out of bed and had everything packed up in about two minutes and we were ready to go. We didn't realize all the paper work we had to fill out so we had to wait a while but finally it was time.
Photobucket

Now we are home and Karlee only has to be hooked up to one light that slides up her shirt and makes her look like a little glow worm. Its the best feeling in the world to be at home with our new little family. She is such a good baby right now. She doesn't cry very much and she is a very good sleeper. We are enjoying that while it lasts. I love that I can finally hold and snuggle her whenever I want.

My terrible wait is finally over. She has such a cute little munchkin face.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

9 comments:

Teresa said...

I am so happy everything is going well and you were able to bring your beautiful daughter home. Two other thoughts, aren't you glad she wasn't patient enough to wait to be on the outside and wow she would have been pretty big if she would have waited. Enjoy.

Love,

Aunt Teresa

Walkers said...

I love it suzie!!! This almost made me cry! Your the cutest...and are the best mom! Your baby is SO Perfect!I love her and just want to steal her from you!! Hopefully my kids will want to come see me soon...so that our babies can play!

chris & ashley said...

Suzie! Congrats! It still blows my mind that you have a spawn!! :) I cant wait to see her in a few weeks!

Jared and Lauren said...

Congrats! She is so cute. I can't believe everything you guys have gone through to finally get her home!

The Poulson's said...

COngrats--suzie:i am a friend of allens we went to highschool together, Karlee is so adorable!! I am so glad that she is healthy, she is so tiny! Tell Allen hi from janica!

Rachel said...

Wait she was 15 weeks early?!
40-25=15 right?! haha I had no idea she was that early.

She is gorgeous though Suzie. I am sooo happy for you and Allen. Tell Allen I said congrats!

Reading your post gave me huge flash backs of when Chaz was in the NICU. It all goes by so fast!

Suzie Bishop said...

no just five weeks sorry about that

Wade and Brooke said...

Suzie, she is adorable!!

Kristin said...

Suzie she is SO beautiful! like truly precious and cute! You know how newborns sometimes aren't the cutest... yours really is! She should be in one of those baby magazines because she's such a doll! I love her lots of hair too!

p.s. her nicu pics remind me of mine also... feeding tube, bili lights, those foam glasses that make your baby look like she is going tanning. Kailee had the same thing! Even the sugar water in an iv.. I'm glad you were finally able to bring her home!

Congrats to you both!