
Her Lips are sealed.
Karlee is a pretty stubborn gal, and Im not sure if that is my problem or not. She doesn't talk. She speaks in gibberish still. She kind of says a few things but I am the only one who understands her, and when I say a few.. I mean only a few.We talk to her, we read to her, we practice words with her, but she just doesn't care. She spends time with other people and other kids a little every week so she hears other people talking all the time. I just don't get it.
(She was slow to learn to walk to.. so this is not surprising to me, just frustrating.)
I would love to try and potty train her, and she loves sitting on the potty, but I am afraid that if she doesn't learn to communicate better, we cant teach her yet.
Does anyone have any good tips on getting kids to talk or teaching them words? I was thinking about buying the "my baby can read" stuff and seeing if that will help. But if anyone knows anything else I would really love your help!

7 comments:
She is still little...? 2 barely? can't remember. Well my cuz in AK had a speech therapist come to her house and work with her little boy. It helped him a ton. Ask your pediatrician about it and maybe it is just the waiting game. Slower to get going? Some kids I hear about don't talk then they start speaking full on sentences. That's tough. Speech therapist.?
Hey Suzie - From an Early Childhood Education perspective (it's what I got my degree in) she is exhibiting totally normal behaviors. All children walk, talk, etc. at different ages. Stimulating her is always great. When you read to her, ask her questions about what's going on, who's in the pictures, what color is this. If she doesn't answer, say the answer for her then move on. You can also ask her to point to things in the books to enhance her cognitive ability. ("where's the dog, where's the cat, etc") You don't want to push her too hard, she will most likely pull away if she feels pressure. Baby Einstein is another great tool. With "My Baby Can Read" you child is not actually reading. I can explain to you why from the phonetic perspective if you want. Just know that it is normal. Also, don't talk "baby talk" to her. Speak to her in a regular adult voice. I hope this helps! -Jenny
I would also get her ears checked. Sometimes there is a hearing issue when children are slow to speak. :)
My nephew Preston is slow at talking too.. and he is 3 1/2. He won't say full sentences yet and you can barely understand what he is saying half of the time. I think he knows how to talk and just doesn't want to yet. He can say his sister's name very well but that's about it. So I think Karlee will talk on her own time, when she wants to.. But get involved with books and asking questions. Little Einsteins is the best too... I unfortunately can sing the entire theme song. It's educational and very interactive so I would maybe try that.
She doesn't talk to you because she only likes me...sorry bout it! I would say tape a picture of me to your face but I'm sure you've already tried that.
have you thought about introducing sign language? It may be an option
My daughter didn't really say much until we started signing time movies, they tech them sign language and it helps with speach a ton!! She is jow putting full sentences together at 21 months, if you want to borrow mine and try it out before you spend the money you are more than welcome too! Let me know, I wouldn't worry though plenty of kids don't want to even trytalkimg until they are older..
Post a Comment